Important Information About Handling Truss
Aluminum truss is incredibly convenient. It’s lightweight, which makes it great for a quick set-up and tear-down process. At the same time, it’s durable, which means that you can use it again and again for staging events or shows. Still, truss is an expensive investment, and it’s important to protect that investment by handling the truss properly to prevent any damage.
If you’ve recently purchased aluminum truss in Los Angeles, CA, read on for some great tips on how to move and connect truss to make sure your truss lasts a long time:
- Bolting with the right tightness: The pieces of truss are held together with steel bolts. You should make sure to use a socket wrench to tighten these, but don’t tighten them so much that you damage the plates with the washers. You need to strike a balance between having a snug fit between the plates and bolts and still having it loose enough that you can remove the bolts with a hand wrench.
- Avoid C-clamps: These may be handy, but they are also an easy way to damage the chords of your truss because of the steel bolt. You’ll want to avoid doing this because chords are hard to replace or repair, and damaging them makes the truss unsafe.
- Transporting truss by hand: As mentioned above, aluminum is lightweight. Though this is convenient, it does mean that it’s slightly more susceptible to damage. When moving the truss by hand, make sure to avoid dragging it on the ground or dropping it. This means that you’ll have to have enough people around to carry the truss properly. You should also use dollies, as they will help to prevent any dropping.
- Using a forklift with truss: It’s great to use a forklift for transporting truss, as it can carry much more than a person. However, the forklift’s steel forks can damage the aluminum truss’s diagonal and internal members. With this in mind, make sure that you have a skilled forklift operator working on the transport, and try to place the truss on top of the forks when you’re positioning it.
- Packaging truss for longer transport: Once you get to the truck that will transport truss to another location, you head into more problematic territory. A bumpy ride can certainly damage truss if you haven’t secured it well. You want to package the truss so that it doesn’t bounce or rub up against anything.
Once you have your set of aluminum truss in Los Angeles, CA, you want to make sure you can keep it working well for a long time. Buying from a quality truss manufacturer like Kordz, Inc. means that you will have a knowledgeable staff available to walk you through the purchase and give you even more detailed advice on how to protect the truss.
Kordz, Inc. manufactures and sells high-quality truss in the Los Angeles area, and can work with any project you have. Even if you’re on a tight turnaround time, Kordz, Inc. can get the job done quickly and well. Stop by today for more information and get a free quote!
Categorised in: Aluminum Truss